Thursday 28 December 2017

One on One with South African based Zimbabwean Singer, Yakayaka Billionaire.

ARTS  / ENTERTAINMENT/ MUSIC/ SINGERS

One on One with South African based Zimbabwean Singer, Yakayaka Billionaire.

by Amanda Ranganawa - Entertainment Blogger



Yakayaka Billionaire

Sup guys. So I recently had the privilege to interview Zimbabwe's rising singer Yakayaka Billionaire.
The ''Baddest whine'' hit maker  whose real name is Rejoice Phaladi is currently making hit waves in South Africa and this is what she had to say about herself and her music:

A:  Tell us, who is Yaka Yaka?

Y: Yakayaka is a Zimbabwean born and bred lady, who has a passion for Arts.

A: Why did you chose to call yourself Yaka Yaka Billionaire?

Y: The name Yakayaka Billionaire came from friends. The Yakayaka part was from a Nigerian friend of mine who described my dress sense and hairstyles as Yakayaka referring it to not being normal or common. The billionaire part is a name my girlfriends call me as I believe I am destined to be a billionaire

A:  Interesting. So what sort of music do you sing?
Y: I sing what I call Afro/Trap which is a fusion of Afro beats and Trap

A: What songs have you done so far and do you have any album out?
Y: So far I have up to 5 singles to my name and am looking at releasing an EP towards the end of 2018

A: Alright. So who produces your music and what notable artists have you worked with so far?

Y: Some of my songs are produced by Zimbabwean born producer GT Beats and  South African music Producer Chrystal.  My 1st single Baddest Whine was in collaboration with award winning musician Roki Josphat and and Buffalo Souljah helped in writing the song. I have also done a track with 2 South African artists Nova Ranks and Chrystal.
Yakayaka with South African musicians Nova Ranks and Chrystal who also a Music Producer. 

A: Where are you currently based in SA and is the location good for your music career?
Y: I am currently residing in Johannesburg and there I have released some of my trap songs, but I predominantly want to grow my music at home in Zimbabwe

A: How far have you gone with your music? Any new songs so far?
Y: I am currently promoting my single Baddest Whine in Zimbabwe and have released Yo love in South Africa

A: Okay. So where can people get your music on social media or music platforms?

Y: You can get my music on all major online stores like apple store, itunes, google play, deezer, sound cloud, Microsoft groove. Or you can whatsapp #baddestwhine to +263775572480

A: Who is your biggest inspiration and why?

Y: Oprah Winfrey because she is among-st the richest black women in the world irregardless of her rough childhood. It goes to show that you can be whatever you want irregardless of were you come from.

A: That's true. So what sort of challenges have you faced in the music industry so far and how are you dealing with them?

Y: Well I guess just breaking into the music industry is not the easiest but in everything perseverance and hard work pays. I refuse to recognize obstacles.


A: From here where do you see your music spreading in this coming year?

Y: I am looking at working with some Zim dancehall artists because I love Zim dancehall and some other African musicians

A: Lastly, how can people get hold of you and follow you on social media?

Y: On social media you can follow me on Instagram: @yakayaka1, twitter: @yakayaka01 and
Facebook: Yakayaka

A: I noticed that you have a unique sense of style. Can you tell me where your fashion sense comes from?
Y: I love unique clothing. If it’s Yakayaka looking then I love it.
Basically I do me when it comes to clothing.


A: Any parting words for the young and upcoming artists that you would like to share?

Y: Well I would encourage upcoming artists or the young to pursue their passion and purpose, because if you do something you are not passionate about you will burn out when pressure comes, coz it will. Be true to self and do you. Remember you only live once and you have 1 shoot at this thing called life so do it right.



Amanda's blog is about Relationships, Arts, Entertainment and Digital media. You can follow her on facebook at Art is who I am and on twitter @MandySR90.

3 comments: